Asheville Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
I am a 2008 graduate of the Appalachian School of Law. I focus my practice exclusively on family law matters including divorce and separation, child custody and support, property settlement and alimony, adoptions, name changes, domestic violence protective orders and parent counsel in DSS matters. I am a Board Certified Specialist in Family Law. I believe problem-solving a primary responsibility of a lawyer. Assisting people through family chaos, ensuring the protection of their rights and property, helping to blend and expand families, and facilitating the transition to newly designed futures, is the heart of family law practice.
In October 2016, I became a Board Certified Specialist in Family Law by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.
In 2015, I received my first peer review honorarium through Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite Young Guns Family Law Section. In 2017, I was honored to be included in the Legal Elite Family Law list. In 2018,
North Carolina Super Lawyers included me in their annual Rising Stars list.
- Chosen as one of four attorneys for a contract position with the State of North Carolina as parent counsel in DSS proceedings
- Law School Honors: Deans List
- Undergraduate Honors: National Collegiate Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, Order of Omega Greek Honor Society
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Distinguished Peer Rated Lawyer 2016
Juris Doctor, Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, VA, 2008
Certifications: Lawyer’s as Problem Solvers (LAPS)
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, 2002
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration/Marketing
- Family law experience including: custody, child support, equitable distribution, alimony, post separation support, adoptions and name changes
- Legal experience with civil restraining orders and criminal matters associated with family law cases including assault on a female, communicating threats, stalking and misdemeanor pleas
- Trial experience includes custody trials, child support trials in district court and family court
- Extensive work performed in Department of Social Services (DSS) cases including: Abuse/Neglect and Dependency proceedings; Termination of Parental Rights trials and various motions related to parent representation
An nearly life-long resident of Asheville, Janet is a 2008 Dean’s List graduate of the Appalachian School of Law. Her undergraduate degree is from University of Tennessee in Knoxville, where she honored by the National Collegiate Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, and Order of Omega Greek Honor Society.
A true Asheville citizen, Janet is drawn to our unique downtown atmosphere. A creative at heart, she is a baker and enjoys decorating cakes. Her favorite haunt is Charleston’s beautiful coastline and decadent seafood, and escapes there whenever possible. Janet and her canine buddy, Gunner, claim hiking at the Biltmore Estate an all-time favorite. But when the Tennessee Volunteers are on the gridiron, Knoxville is the only place you’ll find her.
Janet is married to Asheville lawyer Thomas Amburgey. They have two small children.